Advocate for the Profession
ASET serves as an advocate for the professions of applied science, engineering and information technologies.
As such, ASET:
- acts to educate the public about the role of technicians and technologists
- endeavours to gain respect, recognition and legal right to practice for certified members
- works with the Association of Professional Engineers, Geologists and Geophysicists of Alberta (APEGGA) in the registration of Registered Engineering Technologists
- maintains a Code of Ethics which all members are required to follow
- promotes the understanding of technology with Alberta youth through attendance at career fairs, teachers' conventions and through direct contact with students
- participates in the development of career profiles with the provincial government
ASET continues to play a part in developing and maintaining national standards of competency for both the certification of individuals and the accreditation of technical training programs. ASET seeks to maintain quality in post secondary education, and encourages all members to consider learning as a life-long endeavour.
ASET participates in numerous industry and government committees, boards and task forces reviewing education, worker mobility, trends and future needs.