Professional Services and Benefits
ASET has entered into an arrangement with MLT Aikins, whereby the firm will provide an hour of free legal advice to ASET members who are facing an action in negligence, or a disciplinary proceeding by ASET, or any other matter covered by the member's professional liability insurance. The purpose of the arrangement is to ensure that ASET members have early access to legal advice, without fee, whenever a claim is possible or likely.
MLT Aikins is a full-service law firm of more than 240 lawyers (and over 300 support staff) with a deep commitment to Western Canada and an understanding of this market's unique legal and business landscapes. With offices in Winnipeg, Regina, Saskatoon, Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver, MLT Aikins offers an enhanced depth of skills and greater geographic scope.
The lawyers in the Edmonton office have worked in the community for more than 30 years. More importantly, MLT Aikins strives to provide a personalized commitment to its clients, as well as access to the resources of a large, cross-border firm.
MLT Aikins has extensive experience defending professionals from negligence claims and claims of alleged misconduct, having represented engineers, engineering technicians, architects, land surveyors, appraisers, accountants, dentists, pharmacists, denturists, teachers, lawyers and other professionals in hearings before disciplinary tribunals, as well as judicial review applications and appeals.
Meet the Team
Services will be provided by:
ASET Retiree Benefits
ASET has worked with the Alberta Retired Teachers’ Association (ARTA) to make the ARTA-sponsored ASET Retiree Benefits Plan available to all eligible members who hold an "ASET Retired Membership."
Note: Please refer to Member Status Change Form below for Retired Membership Policy.
The plan is customizable so that it may best meet you and your family’s coverage needs. You may choose from:
1. Four Extended Health Care options which include coverage for vision care (each option includes two prescription drug plan maximums)
Two of the Extended Health Care plans include:
- 100% coverage for Emergency Travel Insurance for sudden and unforeseen emergencies
- Coverage is for 92 days per trip, with the opportunity to add single trip supplementary coverage for to a total of 212 days
- Trip cancelation and interruption insurance coverage
- $5 million lifetime maximum
2. Three Dental Care options; and
The plan summary included in this package details the available coverage and costs. For more information you can look at the plan texts and contracts at https://www.arta.net/member-services/participating-organizations/private-sector/aset/.
Participation in the plan is voluntary and available to ASET retirees and their families who meet the following criteria:
- Hold an active ASET Retired Membership;
- This means that a member has filled out and submitted the ‘Change of Membership Status Form’ to switch over to an ASET Retired Membership. According to ASET’s Retired Membership Policy, retirement from the practice of applied science, information, and/or engineering technology means that “the member is not active in the profession in any manner, including full-time or part-time consulting, teaching, and/or contract employment.”
- ASET member in good standing for at least ten (10) years;
- Age 55 or older;
- A permanent resident of Canada;
- Covered by provincial/territorial health care in your province/territory of residence including any provincial health and drug plans for which you are eligible; and
- ARTA member in good standing
A spouse of a deceased ASET member who would have met the above criteria is eligible to participate in the ASET Retiree Benefits Plan.
Coverage is effective on the first of the month following the date we receive your application. Your monthly premiums are paid via automatic monthly bank withdrawal and your claims are deposited automatically by direct deposit.
The plans renew annually each September 1 and rates are subject to change.
You must join ARTA as an affiliate member to participate in the ASET Retiree Benefits Plan. Affiliate membership in ARTA costs $50 per year, or $4.17 per month, payable with your monthly benefits premiums.
As an affiliate member of ARTA you will have access to:
- the ARTA Affinity Program, providing discounts on travel, fitness etc.
- wellness information and activities
- scholarships for family members
- ARTAFacts e-newsletter and quarterly news & views magazine
Find all the documentation for this plan, please refer to ARTA's website.
If you have questions about the plan, or your eligibility to participate, contact ARTA at 1-855-212-2400, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Resources and Forms
Technologists Canada Benefit Plan
COMING SOON in 2022
ASET will be partnering with the Alberta Retired Teachers’ Association (ARTA) to offer ASET members an optional extended health care plan.
Stay tuned for the official announcement and launch in 2022